Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Having 3 babies in a less than 4 year span makes Annalisa a super awesome pro. For me, I just wasn't as nervous this time around.

The background goes that the months leading up to yesterday were difficult but not over bearing... October was so difficult that I told Annalisa to try and wipe November clean of commitments... that was smart because December was difficult and January really picked up with respect to Annalisa working late.

I worked overtime this past weekend for the first time ever because of hot jobs. Isaiah threw up rice and egg into my hands on Sunday. Ethan has had a runny nose for a while. Annalisa got very sick with cough and a fever on Friday. Isaiah right now I'm told has a 103 temperature.
I've been taking tylenol for a headache.

I think it was Annalisa's illness that triggered the early labor.... It was 1/27/0 8 and she was due on 2/2/08. It was Sunday, but I was at work and Annalisa called saying that I need to emotionally prepare for the baby to be born this week because she felt some contractions..She woke from an afternoon nap on Sunday the 27th.... at 5pm.... she started to have irregular contractions from 5 to 6:30pm... more consistent contractions started at 6:30pm.... that is, the contractions were 6-10min apart lasting about a minute or so.... It's really important to pay attention to the length and duration because if they are not consistent enough or long enough, you might go to the hospital and they might send you home.... I was putting the boys to sleep when Annalisa told me at 10pm that she thought it was time.... Isaiah went nuts... he was so upset that we were leaving and he wanted to come with.... Kimmie, wonderful Kimmie, helped with the boys... she is so awesome...

10pm - leave for hospital
10:30pm - 4cm dilated and -2 station... this is great because they won't make us go home... yay!
11pm - admitted into a room
Nikki the nurse was this positive and uppity blonde that was so great during labor. Doctor Carla was this young African American woman with braces in glasses
11:30pm - moved to the room
11:39pm - IV administered
11:55pm - Started movie Step Up on the GetWell Network in the birthing room. awesome wireless keyboards on 28" flat screens mounted to the walls.
12:20am - 6-7cm! yes! we are flying through the dilation... exxxcccelent...
12:25am - Epidural administered... got in right under the wire... too far along in dilation, that is, 7-8cm.... and they won't give you the epidural anymore.... whew... drugs=goooood..
It's so funny how great the epidural is... Annalisa again goes from intense and terrible pain, to not even noticing if a contraction is happening.... awww yea.
12:42am - 10cm! Annalisa broke some speed dilation record with that one.... we're gonna push for 10min... like Ethan and this will be a done deal before Step Up is done... swwweeet.
12:55am - start pushing - break water

hmmmm.... not going so well... pushing isn't doing much....

1:30pm - Dr. Capili determines that the head is 45 degrees sideways which is why we're having trouble getting down the birth canal... Me and Annalisa's mom switch up.... I go from holding the leg and foot to counting to 10 by Annalisa's head... every contraction which is about a minute or so apart, Annalisa takes a big breath and then starts pushing for the 10 seconds I'm counting... when I get to ten, she takes another big breath and pushes, and then again one more time.... so 3 big pushes for 10 secs per contraction...
because Owen's head is cocked, Annalisa is given a bean bag to lie on face down and wiggle her hips to try and move the head the right way...

1:35 - movie Hairspray turned on on Get Well Network....awesome...

success! the babie's head has been turned the right way...
pushing is much more effective now...annalisa is now back on her back...

2:27am - Owen Ambrosio Agustin, 20".... there is a discrepancy between two written sources of the weight... one source says, 7lbs 6oz. the other source says, 7lbs 0.6oz.
sooooo... intrigue clouds the whole room...not really tho.

Owen is tiny and sweet and looks a little like Isaiah when he was a newborn... he's opening his eyes and his billyrubin is a little high which means he might be a little jaundice.... annalisa is feeding him now....I'm blogging from the wireless GetWell Network in our room.... room 506.... my parent's brought me a subway melt last night and Kimmie made cupcakes.... Kimmie covered watching the boys at night and my mom is covering watching the boys during the day.... it's 9am on Tuesday now and if all goes well we'll be going home in a few hours...

It's funny, I'm a little worried about work.... which means I must really care a lot because it pales in comparison to the importance of supporting Annalisa and the family right now....
it's also funny that Annalisa is itching to wrap up some stuff at work.... which is also an interesting statement considering the immense importance of the new baby.... Also, at her previous job, she took the last two weeks of work off before the due date of her pregnancy and this time she worked 'til the end..... so we're either commited employees with good work ethic, or we're insane workaholics with no perspective.....

I think we're just confident that we can take care of our boys, which leaves room in the mind to ponder more. Because if we were scared or fearful of our abilities to care for the family, I know for a fact we wouldn't be worrying about work.

I had a few experiences last night. The first came during Evan Almighty. When Morgan Freeman is talking to Lorelai.

"When people pray for patience, do you think I make them patient, or give them an opportunity to be patient? When they ask for courage, do you think I give them courage, or give them an opportunity to be courageous?"

He also went on to talk about the opportunity she has to stand by her husband in his crazy quest and how it was significant that the animals boarded the ark, 2 by 2. Side by side.

Side by side.

I was already a little worked up because of the profound way these notions touched me.

When the movie ended and right when the words The End showed on the screen and a kind volunteer knocked on the door and asked us if we wanted to partake in communion, I was overwhelmed.

We prayed and participated.
All the stress and difficulty of many situations was acknowledged and affirmed and cleansed in a way.
The non-serendipitous event of God coming to where I was amidst life.
Meeting me where I was.
I was moved at the gesture and thankful for the opportunity.

That's what we got, another opportunity.

Owen, I love you so much, and I'll try to be the best dad I can be.

5 comments:

Tricia Ebarvia said...

yay! congratulations and welcome, baby owen! :) three boys - you are truly blessed! :)

fyk said...

Congratulations! That part in Evan Almighty made me cry...I hope I get to meet Owen sometime! =)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! Thanks for posting the blog it was great to read all the details. You guys are truly model parents.

mad said...

can't wait to hug all of you guys again!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you'll be a good dad. Cute kids, now all you need is a little girl!